A SHORT HISTORY OF MANLY CROQUET CLUB

by DR ANDREW MORRISON RFD SC

Events

There are multiple references from the 1860s in the Sydney newspapers to the playing of croquet at Manly.  This seems to have been on private lawns. 

Try Corquet By 1901, there was a club utilising the facilities of the Manly Bowling and Recreation Club and a handicap tournament took place in September of that year.  The first President, Mrs T.S. Littlejohn, retired in the following year.
Contact The Club used the facilities of Manly Oval, Ivanhoe Park and Manly Lawn Tennis Club for tournaments in subsequent years, with Council permission.  Some tournaments were also conducted on the greens of the Manly Bowling and Recreation Club. 
 
December 1905, the Club opened its new pavilion and lawn close to the present Council Chambers.  A handicap tournament was held to celebrate the opening.

 

In 1967, the Club moved, with Council assistance, to its present site in Keirle Park, where the present clubhouse was erected with the assistance of Manly Council.  The Club occupies the Council-owned premises and pays an annual rent to the Council for this purpose.
 
Manly Croquet Club is fortunate to have the use of a purpose-built facility, three fine lawns, a reasonable amount of parking and a wonderful outlook onto other playing facilities.  Membership is shared between Association Croquet and Golf Croquet players and the Club is strong in both forms of the game.  The Club regularly participates in Golf Croquet and Association Croquet pennant competitions and welcomes visiting players.
 

The Club, as it has done for many years, holds the Seabreeze Competition (Golf and Association) for players from all over NSW in October.  It currently has in excess of 90 active members ranging from 15 to 93 years of age.